tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 22 06:35:46 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] teSwIj nIH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Gaerfindel:
>> mu'oy'moH teSwIj nIH.

Qov
> Note that nIH is a noun, so teSwIj nIH would be "the right side of my
> ear".
>
> I have a suspicion nIH and poS work like 'em and tlhop, meaning that one
> would say jIH nIH teS - the ear of my right side. Perhaps that is just a
> hyper correction by someone trying not to sound Krotmagian.

AFAIK we have only one example of {nIH} "right (side) and {poS} "left (side)":

  poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
  The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors.  (S9)

This suggests another possibility:

  ? nIHDaq mu'oy'moH teSwIj.
  ? nIHDaq 'oy'[choH] teSwIj.

... with {jIH} being understood since {teS} is marked with {-wIj}.

Can anyone think of an example of an "area noun" being used with a body part?

Are there any other examples of {nIH} and {poS} in the paq'batlh?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons