tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 30 07:30:52 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qIm

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, January 30, 2013
>
> Klingon word:   qIm
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     pay attention, concentrate

jIqIm
I pay attention. KGT

HeDaj yIqIm
Track her course! ST5

yIqIm, yIbuS
Pay attention and concentrate! CK

qIm tera'ngan
Attention Earther! (KCD bumper sticker)

jemS tIy qIrq. loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy. (ST5 notes)

Related verbs:

qImHa'  	disregard (v)

KGT 149:  The verb {Dach} literally means "be absent", but when applied to a person who is obviously present or otherwise accounted for, it is usually interpreted to mean that the person's mind has wandered. It does not mean absent-minded, which involves forgetfulness. Rather, it means that the person is, for whatever reason, not focusing on the task at hand. Nonslang equivalents are {qImHa'} (not pay attention) and {buSHa'} (not focus [on], ignore).

Similar verbs:

Qub 		think
bop 		be (all) about something
qel 		take into account, consider
buS 		concentrate on, focus on, think only about
SIv 		wonder
vuQ  	fascinate

--
Voragh