tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 07 06:40:46 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghe'tor

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> > Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, January 06, 2013
> >
> > Klingon word: ghe'tor
> > Part of speech: noun
> > Definition: *Gre'thor* (where spirits of dishonored go)
> > Source: KGT

De'vID:
> This is in TKDA as {ghe''or} (with two adjacent glottal stops!), and
> it is pronounced that way on the Power Klingon tape too (in the curse
> {ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'}). Sources after this consistently
> use the {ghe'tor} spelling though.
>
> I'm not sure if the earlier spelling should be considered a mistake,
> or if they are two equally valid alternate spellings.

{ghe'tor} seems to be the preferred form;  it's used in KGT, Monopoly (MKE) and the paq'batlh (PB).  AFAIK there wasn't anything in KGT about the spelling variation.

{ghe''or} in canon:

  ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'
  You belong in a black hole in the Netherworld! PK

{ghe'tor} in canon:

  quvHa'; ghe'tor ngan rur
  dishonored as an inhabitant of Gre'thor. KGT

  ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
  when spirits escape from Gre'thor KGT

  jIjegh ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
  I will surrender when spirits escape from Gre'thor. KGT

  Hegh Duj DatIj 'ej ghe'torDaq Duqeng
  "Barge of the Dead" ferries you to Gre'thor! MKE

  ghe'tor 'el qeylIS
  Kahless Enters Gre'thor PB

--
Voragh