tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 31 21:53:39 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naj

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Sep 1, 2013, at 12:21 AM, "Bellerophon, modeler" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Regardless of how the sentences feel, they are interrupted by the relative clauses {QIppu'bogh} and "who has been stupid."

I think you have misunderstood what a "relative clause" is. Your examples are incomplete, consisting only of the verb and the relative suffix/pronoun. To be a complete clause, there must also be a noun that the verb describes. The full Klingon relative clause is {QIppu'bogh yaS}.

I too have never thought of the verb part of a relative clause as "interrupting" the main clause. It's just part of the noun phrase. Similarly, I get no sense of interruption from {jej ghojmeH taj} or {'ugh baS 'In}. They are more complex than {jej taj} and {'ugh 'In}, certainly, but they still flow without any need to put the sentence on hold when dealing with an intrusive element.

Maybe it's a fluency thing.

-- ghunchu'wI'