tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 03 08:37:59 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jIr

De'vID ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> My own suspicion is that {jIr} and {DIng} refer to rotation about
>> different axes, similar to how we have {tor} "pitch", {Der} "yaw", and
>> {ron} "roll".

SuStel:
> Or... the difference between them could be exactly the same as the
> difference between "turn" and "spin": vague.

True.

SuStel:
> I'm not sure I understand the need to give each word an exact meaning not
> overlapping any other word.

It's because Klingon has such a limited vocabulary. It'd be a pity if
{jIr} and {DIng} were just synonyms, and nothing more. MO did hint
that they differed somehow. But that could mean anything. Maybe upper
class people use one and lower classes use another, or it's a regional
or age difference.

--
De'vID