tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 01 08:35:26 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jIr

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, August 01, 2013
> >>
> >> Klingon word: jIr
> >> Part of speech: verb
> >> Definition: rotate, twirl

Voragh:
>> MO said that {jIr} was intransitive at qepHom'a' 2011:
>>
>>    lugh {ghur vay'}, {vay' ghurmoHlu'}, {nup vay'}, {vay'
>>    nupmoHlu'} je 'e' maqbej MO. {jIr} rur {DIng} maq je 'ach
>>    rurchu' 'e' maqchu'be'. Sovchu'meH matlh'e' tlhobnISlaw'.
>>    [De'vID, 3/22/12]
>>
>> Cf. {jIrmoH} "twirl bat'leth, cause bat'leth to rotate":
>>
>> KGT 60:  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves
>> associated with bat'leth use. To twirl or rotate the
>> bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to the
>> other (the same word is used whether left to right or
>> right to left) is {baQ}.

quljIb:
> {jIr} is used in contexts other than twirling bat'leths, yes?  For
> example, I can say {jIr mI'wI'}, "The dancer twirls/spins," (say in the
> context of ballet) and be understood, qar'a'?

I would think so.  Only {jIrmoH} is specifically associated with the bat'leth in the KGT definition, though I can't imagine why you couldn't {jIrmoH} something else.

AFAIK we have no examples of {jIr} in a sentence.  Ditto for {Ding} "spin", but I do have this comment by Philip Newton (3/22/2012):

  Someone (De'vID jonpIn?) asked Marc Okrand about {Ding} at
  the {qepHom wa'maHDIch} (2011) in Saarbrücken. I seem to
  recall that he agreed that it was intransitive (the spinning
  thing {Ding}'s, and the one who spins it {DIngmoH}'s it),
  but am not sure whether the answer might not have been the
  characteristical noncommittal instead.

Any examples from the paq'batlh?

--
Voragh