tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 24 07:47:45 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wamwI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, April 24, 2013
>
> Klingon word: wamwI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: hunter

  QotDI' gheD tlhejbe' wamwI'
  The hunter does not lie down with the prey. TKW

  vagh SanID ben buDbe' wamwI'pu'. ngugh Ho'Du'chaj lo'
   chaH, 'ach DaH tajmey lo'.
  5,000 years ago, hunters were not lazy. Then (at that time)
   they used their teeth, but now they use knives. (st.k 11/99)

Cf. {wam} "hunt" (v) in canon:

  veng chanDaq jIwam
  I hunt east of the city. (st.k 11/99)

  chan vengDaq jIwam
  I hunt in the city in the east. (st.k 11/99)

  'evmajDaq jIwampu'
  I have hunted northwest of here. (st.k 11/99)

  wam chaH. ghIq Soj luvut.
  They hunt. Then (after that) they prepare food. (HQ 8.3)

  wam chaH 'ej ghIq Soj luvut.
  They hunt and then they prepare food. (HQ 8.3)

"We have always fought. We must. We are hunters, Captain, tracking and taking what we need." (Mara to Kirk, TOS "Day of the Dove")

In 2267 Klingon agent Krell told village headman Appela that killing has pleasures: It's easier than trading and it has rewards -- like the hunt. (TOS "A Private Little War")

KGT 27:  Being hunters by nature and primarily carnivorous, Klingons have an extensive vocabulary for different parts of an animal, and the terminology is widespread.

KGT 100f.:  In some restaurants, the menu ({HIDjolev}) is posted (seldom are individual copies available), but in most, the patrons know the regular fare and ask about specials, including the {DaHjaj gheD} (literally, "today's prey"), a dish whose components depend on what animals the restaurant's hunters were able to bring in.

  N.B. "the restaurant's [own] hunters"! <g>

KGT 89f.:  Animals to be eaten are generally acquired by means of a hunt ({chon}; the verb hunt is {wam}) [...] if [the meat] is fresh, the "cook" may {pID} it, which involves coating it with herbed granulated cartilage (not necessarily from the same animal) mixed with some kind of {tIr} (grain) and doing very little else. [...] Meat prepared in this way is sometimes described as {wamwI' Ha'DIbaH} ("hunter's meat"), but the specific animal name is usually used instead of the word {Ha'DIbaH} (meat); for example, {wamwI' mIl'oD} ("hunter's sabre bear").

KGT 77:  A song sung while going to, or returning from, a hunt is a {chon bom}, or "hunt song".

KGT 61:  A {'etlh} [sword], even if primarily a weapon, may be used in other activities as well, such as hunting and even sculpting.

Related words:

wam  		hunt (v)
ghoch 	track, track down (v)
von  		trap, entrap (v)