tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 18:20:29 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 17. ghojwI'pu'lI' tISaH

Rohan Fenwick ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ghItlhpu' loghaD, jatlh:
> From paq'batlh:

(poD)

chovnatlhmeylIjmo' Voragh chovnatlhmeymo' je Satlho'. lI'bej.

taH:
> Combining these examples, it seems to me that perhaps
> the object of
 {toS} is the thing which one climbs.

Indeed - as you show, paq'raD 14:4 supports this explicitly: {...chalqach toS} "he climbs the tower".

> One's starting point is marked
with -vo', and one's destination with -Daq.

Again, an entirely reasonable conclusion.

> In that sense, it would
resemble {ghoS} in at least
> some respects, but perhaps not all.

There's the $64 question. ;) I guess what I wonder is if {qojDaq vItoS} "I climb (onto?) the cliff" is legal in the same way as {bIQtIqDaq vIjaH} "I go to the river" is.

Not sure if a person who climbs cliffs for sport with
> no real
destination would be said to {qoj toS} or
> {qojDaq toS}, though.

Well, I suppose there is still a destination as often as not - the top of the cliff (or, for abseilers, the bottom), so I reckon either {qoj toS} or {qojDaq toS} would probably be okay.

QeS