tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 17 06:23:27 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh cha'maH cha': <QIptaH>

Qov ([email protected])

At 22:55 16/01/2012, you wrote:
Qov:
> > "SuQaybe'pu' verghDaq mapawDI' lIQay wo'."

ghunchu'wI':
> SuQaybe'pu'chugh, qar'a'?
>
> You used {Qay} twice in this sentence, with the person changing ships
> once as subject and once as object. I'll accept it either way, but I'd
> rather not have to switch back and forth. (I'm inclined to prefer the
> thing being transferred as the object based on the example of {Hergh
> QaywI'}, but I recognize that it's not a powerful example.)

There's also {HoS QaymeH 'och} from the BoP poster.

I'm changing it from e.g. {Qay ghutar} to {Qay'egh ghutar}, and leaving it as {qaQay}.

Also, if {Qay}
was intransitive, I'd have expected its definition to be "be
transferred".

The only place I can think Okrand has done that is nge'/yaH.

But does {Qay} even work for "transfer" in the sense of going from
serving on one ship to serving on another, or going from travelling on
one ship to travelling on another?  It seems like it means "transfer"
in the sense of "to move a substance from one place to another", based
on the two (admittedly not very conclusive) canon examples.

Moving a substance from container to container and moving a mang from commander to commander are fundamentally different to you? I might question its use for boarding a different ship in the course of the same journey, but think that transferring between posts matches the meaning if anything does.

What would you say instead?

- Qov