tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 14 13:40:08 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] learnings from Saarbrücken qepHom'a'

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

2011/11/14 De'vID jonpIn <[email protected]>:

> The words <ren>, <Qur>, and <qurbuSwI'> were defined in
> writing, but only in German, in a letter from MO.  Presumably, the letter
> was written in English, and translated into German (by Lieven?), but I have
> not seen the original.

I presume the same.

Incidentally, I was a bit surprised not to have seen those first two
words on the list earlier. The letter was published in the "booklet"
(to use the term loosely; this year's conference booklet has 125
pages!) and I had expected the two new words to be posted to the list
within half an hour after the first books were distributed :)

> However, I've had the meanings of <ren> and <Qur>
> explained to me by German speakers.  <qurbuSwI'> appears to be a Morskan
> dialect word, but I didn't understand its meaning.  Perhaps Lieven, or
> someone who can read the letter in German, can explain their definitions.

{qurbuSwI'} does not seem to be have been defined, merely mentioned.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to publish the letter in its entirety,
along with an English version (either a translation back into English,
or - preferably - the English original), so that there would be
context for the explanation of the words, not merely a two-word gloss.

I've asked for permission to do so since I'm not sure whether just
going ahead and posting the entire thing would be the right thing to
do.

> We also learned that the verbs <ghur> and <nup> are intransitive (the
> transitive forms have <-moH>), and also what the difference was between the
> verbs <reH> and <Quj>.  <reH> applies to unstructured play, whereas <Quj>
> refers to structured play (with rules).

I also found out that {qIl} can mean not only "cancel" but also
"abort" (in the sense of "abort a computer program", not a child).

And these words were new to me, but possibly not to others:

{tojbogh pa'}
{tojbogh pa' tuH}

> The following is not new info, but was discussed with MO at the qepHom:
> <Soj> refers not just to food, but anything consumed for sustenance (i.e.,
> "food" in a more general sense than "solid food"); <Sop>, <tlhutlh>, and
> <'ep> are verbs which can be applied to different kinds of <Soj>.

KGT mentions that "The term for food of any kind (including beverages)
is {Soj}."

And finally an anecdote: Marc Okrand gave a speech at the end (I
believe he was introducing the paq'batlh), and at the end, he said,
{pItlh}.

Someone asked a question or made a comment, and Mark said, "Oh,
{pItlhbe'}?" This prompted a shout of "{mu' chu' !!!}", upon which
Mark quickly dispelled that notion :)

So this was apparently merely a {mu' ru'} in the sense that {mu'mey
ru'} are described in KGT, "Intentional Ungrammaticality".

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>