tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 07 21:55:38 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' SochmaH wej: <may' pugh>

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 20:50 07/11/2011, you wrote:
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Qov <[email protected]> wrote:
> ghu' chovchoHDI' vay', yaS wa'DIch luHIvlI' gharghmey tIn 'e' HarlaH.

I get the feeling that it was phrased this way specifically to avoid a
{-lu'} on the last verb. If that's the case, you could omit the first
clause and say {yaS wa'DIch luHIvlI' gharghmey tIn net HarlaH}. If you
really did want to invoke an explicit {vay'}, then never mind.

I don't remember working for that avoidance. I think I initially had ghutar believing that, but didn't want it for the character, so transferred the idea to an unidentified observer.

> yaS wa'DIch luHDu' bIH.

{luHDu'} makes perfect sense, but it also makes me giggle.

I would like to talk to a Klingon about this. Do they consider a person to have multiple intestines? I think at one point I chanced this all to singular, but I must have changed them back.

> ravDaq chejHey ghov HoD.

There's nothing wrong with this sentence, but my mind stumbles on the
idea trying to overanalyze it. "If he really recognized it, why is it
uncertain?"

I can see the contradiction. I will change the verb.

Do' cha' chej ngaS tlhIngan porgh (net maq). wa' chej Hutlhchugh
Human, nom Heghbej.

bIlughbej.

> luH yIr 'e' lunIDtaH ghopDu'Daj.[17]

wot cha'DIchDaq <-taH> yItlhejmoHQo'.

> [17] What does it say about me that I had no problems disembowelling one of
> my characters in his sleep, but it hurt me to abuse these stupid grammar
> rule?

There's apparently something fundamental about grammar. Mercy is more flexible.

I think you should have said {luH yIrtaH 'e' lunID ghopDu'Daj}. It's
not exactly the same meaning, but it's an appropriate one.

Okay, okay. :-)

> may' pugh SIQnIS SuvwI' 'ach QIDqu'DI' chor 'uplaHbej 'e' chIDqang HoD.

{QID} means "wound", not "be wounded."

vISovpu', 'a vIta'nIS.

> QIHvam vorlaHbe' Hoqra'. QIHvam vorlaH Qel 'e' Hon vajar,...

<-'e'> Dachel 'e' vIchup: <vorlaH Qel'e' 'e' Hon>.

vIparHa'.

> "...Hoch jagh DIHoHta'..."

Using {Hoch} with an implicit plural this way always makes me wince.
If I interpret {Hoch jagh} as "each enemy" the way I would in
isolation, it doesn't match the {DI-} prefix. I have to stretch the
rules regarding {Hoch} to read it as "all enemies" even without an
explicitly plural noun following it.

SoHvaD, jupwI', mojaq vIchelqang.

At least it's not as wonky as {Hoch cha}.

> jup luH 'ay'Du' buvchoH.[5] Qaw'lu'chu', pagh naQlaw', pagh chaq vorlaH.

Triage on a single patient's internal organs. That's a heck of a thing.

lol, I never thought of that as I was doing it. But true.

> 'reghbogh 'aDDu' bot.

<reghbogh> 'et DantaH qaghwI' 'utHa'.

'ong qaghwI'meyvetlh. Marc, Degh tIn DawIvlaHbe'?

> ...'ach qaStaHvIS wej rep 'ungya vormeH vum tlhInganpu'.

lugh <luvormeH> qar'a'?

bIlugh.

> jajvetlh Heghbe' 'ungya.

'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?

Let's see, it's three hours into Hota'ro''s shift, and dawn is set at the beginning of 'ungya's shift, so assuming a 24-hour day, that's wa'maH Hutvatlh rep.