tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 07 12:56:15 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - First Words

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> From my notes:
> After having MO sign a book for him, someone said qatlho'. Okrand
> replied that that wasn't how he intended the verb to be used.

I'm guessing Klingons don't thank one another as often as humans do; it's reserved for great acts, not trivial things like an autograph.
puqloDwI' DatoDta'mo' qatlho' - Okay
Darghmo' qatlho' - Probably not okay unless there was somethimg really special about the tea.

Of course, this extension of the word's use fits right in with other phrases on the EuroTalk DVD; it's for Earthbound scenarios.

Regarding the giving of thanks:
When a friend of mine was studying in the U.S., her classmates would often make fun of her for thanking people excessively.
I also remember an American guest lecturer telling us Swedes often come across as cold, but at least they thank one another a lot.