tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 07 13:11:15 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - First Words

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT:
>>> Thank you - qatlho'

{qatlho'} is listed _The Star Trek Encyclopedia_, IIRC WRT this scene:

>>> Thank you very much - qatlho'qu'
>>
>> From my notes:
>> After having MO sign a book for him, someone said qatlho'. Okrand
>> replied that that wasn't how he intended the verb to be used.

I may have a reference to the same incident in my notes:

  At qep'a' loSDIch Okrand was puzzled by a comment someone made and said something like, "There's a word for 'Thank you'?" Someone told him {qatlho'}, and he said something along the lines of, "I never intended it to mean thanks" and elaborated a little on the circumstances it would be used in." (Qov)

ghunchu'wI':
> I've never heard him complain when someone tells him {qatlho'neS}.

  "When Marc Okrand signed my TKD I think I said {qatlho'neS}, which was probably a bit effusive, but hey, I was excited. He replied in English something close to, 'Well, there's NO Klingon response to that'." (Qov)

When Picard told Ambassador Kell *K'adlo* [closed captions?] "Thank you," Kell gave him an odd look, then nodded (or grunted) and left the room without saying a word. (TNG "The Mind's Eye")

This attitude may also be reflected in the scene in the Great Hall where Archer and Sato are formally returning the rescued Klingon courier Klaag to Kronos and Chancellor M'Rek (ENT "Broken Bow Pt. II"):

ARCHER: "I'll take that as a 'thank you'."
SATO:   "I don't think they have a word for 'thank you'."

Apparently they do, but only aliens (like Picard) use it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons