tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 07 11:46:44 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - First Words

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

>> taxi  - ra'wI' lupwI'
> "commander's jitney/bus"?  There must be a pun here!
> (Is this a reference to some taxi company in Okrand's neck of the woods?)

I suspect it's simply a reference to the luxurious nature of taxis relative to buses. Perhaps it relates to the fact that at one time, the only people important enough to have chauffeurs were ra'wI'pu' and the like.

When I was little, we used to refer to buses as "sossetaxi": "social democrat taxi"