tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 17 10:29:05 2011

RE: chomuSHa''a'? ghorgh chomuS!? - Question about muSHa'

Seruq ([email protected])

> It appears that the only kind of "like" there is
> is the "undoing" or "misapplication" of "dislike."  (Of
> course, you could also say {parbe'} "like" or, more
> literally, "not dislike,"  using the negative suffix {-be'}
> "not"; but {parbe'} is also based on {par}.  {parHa'} is
> heard more frequently than {parbe'}, however, and this may be
> a hint at the usual way a Klingon looks at things.)
>
> Interestingly (and bolstering the idea that "dislike" is a
> default), there's also the word {muS} "hate" (which is
> presumably stronger somehow than {par} "dislike").  It also
> has no known opposite except for the suffixed forms:
> {muSHa'} "dis-hate" or "unhate"; {muSbe'} "not hate.""
> http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file98-03-02a-news.txt&get=source
>
> The way I read this, parHa' isn't really stronger than
> parbe'; the face that parHa' is used more often than parbe'
> is more likely a hint about how Klingons regard the liking of things.
>
> As I see it, it's possible to muSHa' somebody and par them at
> the same time, for instance if you've gotten over your hatred
> for somebody but simply prefer not to be around him/her.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> //loghaD
>
> P.S. Another relevant source on the subject:
> http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file96-12-12b-news.txt&get=source
> D.S.

So one starts out with an overall dislike for everything, and then maybe later changes to liking it.

An example to help people understand the concept easier made me immediately think of doctors.  I'm
sure we could add dentists, lawyers, politicians, and such.  Before even meeting them one would
start out with the base word [par], or even [muS].  And then if the visit goes well, maybe one would
now [parHa'], or [muSHa'] that person.  Undo that dislike.  That dentist wasn't so bad after all; I
no longer dislike them.

DloraH

Back to archive top level