tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 25 13:06:25 2011

Re: vIHpu'ghach Hab

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

DIvI' Hol jatlhlu'vIS "smooooth mooove"vaD ngeD wabmey.  qoH Dachugh
vay' chaq "oooo" jatlhlu' vaj Qap mu'meyvetlh. potlhbe' qech'e'.
potlh neH wab.  'ach tlhIngan Hol vaD ... the smoothness of having
moved is not a sound that evokes anything.

Nothing wrong with translating your every passing thought into
Klingon, but go to the qep'a' and listen to folks who do it without
translating and with references and linguistic jokes that you REALLY
have to know Klingon to follow. ghunchu'wI' Qanqor je tIbuS.

DIvI' Hol poQboQ tlhIngan Hol HaghmoHwI' parHa' 'angghal. reH
wIponHa' 'e' wInID.  chaq mu'tlheghDaj: "DIngbogh qurgh yIlegh" DatIv.

At 22:53 24/02/2011, you wrote:

>ghItlhpu' lojmIt tI'wI' nuv, jatlh:
> >Yesterday, when I dropped something, the phrase just popped out:
> >{vIHpu'ghach Hab, qoH.}
>
>Odd; the first thing that usually comes to my lips when I drop something
>is Klingon as well - {(vaj) yIpum jay'} "(then) &!@$ FALL down!" Klingon
>is such a satisfying language to curse in. :)
>
>jang Krenath, jatlh:
> >Would Klingons use 'move' or 'motion' as a synonym for 'action' even if
> >they have a noun for it rather than just a verb?
> >Would Klingons use 'smooth' as a description of a well-executed action?
>
>That's actually my problem with the phrase {vIHpu'ghach Hab} here - it's
>so obviously a calque from English. :S If a Klingon were to say it I'd at
>least expect {Hab vIHpu'ghach} (cf. {buy' ngop}). One way or another it's
>nothing a native Klingon-speaker would be likely to say.
>
>Not that that matters, of course!
>
>QeS 'utlh

Back to archive top level