tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 24 23:17:19 2011

Re: vIHpu'ghach Hab

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

> That's actually my problem with the phrase {vIHpu'ghach Hab} here - it's
> so obviously a calque from English. :S If a Klingon were to say it I'd at
> least expect {Hab vIHpu'ghach} (cf. {buy' ngop}). One way or another it's
> nothing a native Klingon-speaker would be likely to say.

Yeah, or {'IH jaj, qar'a'?} ("Beautiful day, isn't it?"), or more literal:
"the day is beautiful"; so Klingon seems to prefer short sentences instead
of just throwing around bare noun phrases when it comes to adjective-noun
combinations. If someone were to say ?{jaj 'IH}, perhaps that'd sound
incomplete to a Klingon... "Yeah... so what's with that beautiful day?"
...or in this case: "Yeah? What about that smooth ex-movement?"
naDev 'IH jajmaj je. DaH muD Dotlh vItIvrup.
Savan,
- André

Back to archive top level