tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 24 22:55:42 2011

Re: vIHpu'ghach Hab

R Fenwick ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lojmIt tI'wI' nuv, jatlh:
>Yesterday, when I dropped something, the phrase just popped out:
>{vIHpu'ghach Hab, qoH.}

Odd; the first thing that usually comes to my lips when I drop something
is Klingon as well - {(vaj) yIpum jay'} "(then) &!@$ FALL down!" Klingon
is such a satisfying language to curse in. :)

jang Krenath, jatlh:
>Would Klingons use 'move' or 'motion' as a synonym for 'action' even if
>they have a noun for it rather than just a verb?
>Would Klingons use 'smooth' as a description of a well-executed action?

That's actually my problem with the phrase {vIHpu'ghach Hab} here - it's
so obviously a calque from English. :S If a Klingon were to say it I'd at
least expect {Hab vIHpu'ghach} (cf. {buy' ngop}). One way or another it's
nothing a native Klingon-speaker would be likely to say.

Not that that matters, of course!

QeS 'utlh

Back to archive top level