tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 10 07:38:42 2011

Re: {rIn}

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

The first use of {rIn}, I believe, was in ST3, primarily invented as another couple syllables to explain why valQIS's lips were still moving after she had said everything that the actual Klingon translation required. This was one of those scenes where the actress is literally saying in English what the English subtitles say she's saying, and then Okrand gave her a Klingon version to overdub later. The original Klingon translation had fewer syllables than the English, so he came up with {rIntaH} to tag on to the end so sound would be coming out while her lips were moving.

That explains the odd grammar. It's what we get for having a language based upon a series of movies; one of the quirks that Okrand likes so much, since it makes the language less regular and therefore more like a natural language. Deal with it.

I do. With shrugs, winces and eye rolling, and an occasional forehead slap.

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

On Feb 10, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Fiat Knox wrote:

> rIntaH carries with it a sense of great finality, stronger than the use of the -ta' prefix. As such, with the -taH suffix, {rIn} carries either no prefix, or a null prefix:-
>
> jaghwI' vIHoHpu' - I killed my enemy. (Perhaps he fell on my naked blade by accident)
>
> 'oy' vISIQpu' - I endured the pain.
>
> jaghwI' vIHoHta' - I killed my enemy. (I set out to kill him, and I have done so).
>
> 'oy' vISIQta' - I embraced the pain, deliberately choosing to endure it.
>
> jaghwI' vIHoH rIntaH - I killed my enemy, once and for all. (I have fulfilled great honour by killing my enemy, and this matter is resolved beyond resurrection. Let nobody here dispute this, because this took place under the naked bloody stars and all.)
>
> 'oy' vISIQ rIntaH - I endured this pain until the pain was defeated and destroyed, and this pain shall bother me no more.
>
> I also surmise its use in formal communications, the equivalent of "Over" in radio comms chatter, as exhibited by Commander Uhura's mangled attempts at Klingon in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and the communications from the Morske Listening post ending "rIn?"
>
> Further enlightenment would be welcome.

Back to archive top level