tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 10:49:00 2011

Re: Translating TEDTalks

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

lugh ghunchu'wI'.  QInlIj QummeH tlhIngan Hol yIvoq. yajlu'be'chugh
vaj laHlIj yIjejmoH. bIQubtaHvIS DIvI' Hol Dalo'nISbe'meH, mu'tay'
yIHaDqu'. qech yImugh. mu'mey tImughQo'.

At 10:14 07/02/2011, you wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > However, the idea is that the text should be understandable
> without too much clarification in English, so I still didn't want
> to translate "too much".
>
>I find the triple threat of interspersed original, translation, and
>back-translation too busy to read easily. The English is very
>distracting and keeps me from being able to focus on the Klingon,
>especially when the line break convention is inconsistent. I was
>already a bit irritable when I ran into the word-for-word rendition of
>the superlative phrases, and it just set me off. I probably came
>across a bit harsh...though if I am to be honest about my feelings, I
>don't think I was too harsh at all.
>
> > I find that many Klingon texts only make sense when you look at
> translations of them, and if that's the case with my text, then it
> needs to be changed.
>
>If you want to find out if the Klingon can stand alone without
>difficulty, it would be best not to surround it with the English
>equivalent. I can't tell you if your text meets your goals, because I
>was not able to read it without an accompanying translation. I don't
>mean I couldn't understand the Klingon until I read in English what it
>was intended to say. I just mean it was impossible not to see the
>English when I looked at the Klingon.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level