tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 10:18:10 2011

Re: Translating TEDTalks

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> However, the idea is that the text should be understandable without too much clarification in English, so I still didn't want to translate "too much".

I find the triple threat of interspersed original, translation, and
back-translation too busy to read easily. The English is very
distracting and keeps me from being able to focus on the Klingon,
especially when the line break convention is inconsistent. I was
already a bit irritable when I ran into the word-for-word rendition of
the superlative phrases, and it just set me off. I probably came
across a bit harsh...though if I am to be honest about my feelings, I
don't think I was too harsh at all.

> I find that many Klingon texts only make sense when you look at translations of them, and if that's the case with my text, then it needs to be changed.

If you want to find out if the Klingon can stand alone without
difficulty, it would be best not to surround it with the English
equivalent. I can't tell you if your text meets your goals, because I
was not able to read it without an accompanying translation. I don't
mean I couldn't understand the Klingon until I read in English what it
was intended to say. I just mean it was impossible not to see the
English when I looked at the Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level