tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 30 11:43:05 2010

RE: A bit of new canon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

No idea.  I provided all the information I had.  (Were other Klingonists involved in the project?)  But since Okrand is the Washington Shakespeare board president, this was public sign at the box office and it's consistent with the PK example, it's a good bet.  In fact, it's the use of {-ta'} over {-pu'} in {je'lu'ta'bogh} that tips the balance for me; it feels like his style.

I'm assuming that Okrand used the KLI's translations for "Hamlet" and "Much Ado About Nothing", but what we all want to see are his translations of scenes from other plays which were staged.  Does anybody know if he plans on releasing them?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

>>Are you sure that Okrand translated it?
>>lay'tel SIvten
>
>On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Steven Boozer
><[email protected]>wrote:
>
>> Tracy Canfield attended Saturday's performance of "By Any Other Name:
>An
>> Evening of Shakespeare in Klingon" by the Washington Shakespeare
>Company.
>>  She was kind enough to share with me the sign she spotted on the
>will-call
>> tickets window:
>>   elmeH chaw'mey je'lu'ta'bogh
>>
>> She didn't see an initial apostrophe (she looked), but it's no doubt:
>>
>>   'elmeH chaw'mey je'lu'ta'bogh
>>   "entry permits that have (already) been purchased"
>>
>> Those of us who translated the signage for ComicCon 2010 will be
>gratified
>> to see that we translated "ticket, entry pass" the same way.  This
>suggests
>> other types of permits:
>>
>>   * lengmeH chaw'   travel permit, passport
>>   * lIghmeH chaw'   ticket, transport pass (e.g. train, bus, airplane,
>> shuttlecraft, jitney)
>>   * 'ormeH chaw'     pilot's license
>>
>> BTW we've seen this pattern before with {chaw'}:
>>
>>   cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
>>   Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. (PK)
>>
>> So no grammatical surprises or vocabulary, but one more example of a
>> "purpose noun".
>>

>> --
>> Voragh
>> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons