tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 30 08:33:55 2010

A bit of new canon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Tracy Canfield attended Saturday's performance of "By Any Other Name: An Evening of Shakespeare in Klingon" by the Washington Shakespeare Company.  She was kind enough to share with me the sign she spotted on the will-call tickets window:
   elmeH chaw'mey je'lu'ta'bogh

She didn't see an initial apostrophe (she looked), but it's no doubt:

   'elmeH chaw'mey je'lu'ta'bogh
   "entry permits that have (already) been purchased"

Those of us who translated the signage for ComicCon 2010 will be gratified to see that we translated "ticket, entry pass" the same way.  This suggests other types of permits:

   * lengmeH chaw'   travel permit, passport
   * lIghmeH chaw'   ticket, transport pass (e.g. train, bus, airplane, shuttlecraft, jitney)
   * 'ormeH chaw'     pilot's license

BTW we've seen this pattern before with {chaw'}:

   cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
   Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. (PK)

So no grammatical surprises or vocabulary, but one more example of a "purpose noun".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level