tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 03 07:06:12 2010

RE: gha'tlhIq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

mupwI':
>Can *botlh* represent both temporal and spatial centre/middle?
>Middle of an object versus middle of a time period?

{botlh} "center, middle" has never been used in canon.  It's not glossed as "area in the center/middle", but I've always assumed it was an "area noun" nonetheless.  Certainly {qoD} "inside, interior" and {Hur} "outside" are spatial references:

  pa' qoD
  room's interior, inside of a room KGT

  loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
  Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. STX

  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant. STX

  qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'
  inner support stabilizer KBoP

  HurDaq tu'HomI'raHvetlh yIlan
  Get that piece of junk out of here! KCD

If you want to say "in the middle of the day (or night)" use {pemjep} "midday" (or {ramjep} "midnight"):

  DaHjaj pemjep
  this midday, today in the middle of the day
  (lit. "today midday" or "today's midday") [st.k 6/29/1997]

  DaHjaj ramjep
  this midnight, tonight at midnight
  (lit. "today midnight" or "today's midnight") [st.k 6/29/1997]

Note BTW that {pemjep} "midday" is not the same as {DungluQ} "noon":

  DaHjaj DungluQ
  this noon
  (lit. "today noon" or "today's noon") [st.k 6/29/1997]

  DungluQ tIHIv. ngugh Qongbe' chaH
  Attack them at noon! They won't be sleeping then.
  Attack them at noon. They're not sleeping then. [st.k 11/99]

For other time periods I'd use {qaS} "occur, happen". E.g.

  qaStaHvIS Hoghvam
  in the middle of this week, during the week
  ("while this week is [still] occurring")

  qaStaHvIS po
  in the middle of the morning, during the morning
  ("while the morning [still] occurring")

although just using {Hoghvam] or {wa'Hu'/Dahjaj/wa'leS po} as a time-stamp works just fine and is probably better Klingon style.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level