tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 18 11:30:32 2010

RE: If I were you...

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
>It occurred to be yesterday that if someone asked me for advice and I
>wanted to say, "If I were you, I'd pay more and get the better widget,"
>in Klingon, well, I can't. The "If I were you," part gets REALLY weird,
>no matter how I try to approach the problem.
>
>I just have to skip that part and say something like, {Doch qaq vImaS.
>wagh'a'? ram!}

Since Klingon doesn't have a subjunctive, how about:

  qeSwIj DaneHchugh, janHom wagh yIje'!
  If you want my advice, buy the expensive widget.

  janHom qaq DaDIl 'e' vIchup
  I suggest/recommend you pay for the better widget.

Other verbs:  {qeS} "advise", {qap} "insist", {poQ} "demand".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level