tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 18 11:42:29 2010

RE: A phrase for the love of Klingons!

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Christopher Kidder:
>So... I'm trying for a phrase that means: "I fell in love with a Klingon,
>not a Ferengi!"  Here's what I've come up with so far:
>
><banwI' vIwIvta'DI' tlhIngan vIpIHpu'.  verengan vIpIHbe'pu'.>
>
>If I got that right, then it ought to say, "When I chose my lover (loved
>one), I expected a Klingon.  I did not expect a Ferengi!"

majQa'!  I would just drop the aspect suffixes in the first sentence and reverse the order of suffixes in the second (it just sounds better to me):

  bangwI' vIwIvDI' tlhIngan vIpIH.  verengan vIpIHpu'be'!

By its very nature {-DI'} "as soon as, when" implies some kind of finished act and every examples but one does not use a aspect suffix on the verb.  The single exception is:

  'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq
  We will talk after dinner. PK

which stresses that the discussion will take place after (not during) dinner:  {'uQ wISoppu'DI'} "after we have eaten dinner".

{wIvta'} sounds rather calculating to me.  (Mission accomplished!)  Consider also the verb {tu'} "discover, find":

  bangwI' vItu'DI' verengan vIpIHpu'be'!

For that matter, {parmaqqay} "par'Machkai, romantic companion/partner" works too for a more - ahem! - physical relationship.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level