tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 07:18:20 2010

SV: mu' chu'

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> Marc also clarified that Qutlh (support) can only refer to physically
> supporting something. It can't refer to monetary (he said ghaq is for this),
> psychological or any other non-physical type of support. This seemed to
> interest Krankor, but it may be common knowledge. :D

Hmm, it would appear I've made a mistake in a wedding speech translation I did, where I suggested that the bride and groom should go on Qutlh:ing each other.  Hopefully, if there were any jatlhwI'pu' in the audience, they just took it as a colorful metaphor :P

So, what would the proper syntax for «ghaq» be?  Some possibilities:

* «taHlaHmeH puqpu'vaD Soj vIghaqpu'.» - So that they can survive, I contributed food to the chidlren. (subject contributes object to beneficiary in order to support purpose-clause)
* «taHlaHmeH puqpu' vIghaqpu'.» - So that they can survive, I contributed to the children. (subject contributes [some unknown thing] to  object in order to support (purpose))
* «puqpu' taHlaHghachvaD Soj vIghaqpu'.» - For the children's ability-to-survive, I contributed food. (subject contributes object in order to support beneficiary)
* «taHlaHghachrajvaD puqpu' vIghaqpu'.» - For their ability-to-survive, I contributed to the children. (subject contributes [some unknown thing] to object in order to support beneficiary)
* «SoplaHmeH puqpu' jIghaqpu'.» - So that the children can eat, I contributed. (subject contributes[intransitive] in order to support purpose)

As the original TKD translation of «ghaq» is simply "contribute (v)", I personally am leaning towards the first option, which I believe would give it the same syntax as «nob» ("give") and «qem» ("bring").

//Felix