tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 06:32:00 2010

RE: mu' chu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

qurgh:
>> > When I was talking to Eric about the new words, he also mentioned
>> > ghIv - limb (of a person)
>> >
>> > Was that not on the list?

ghunchu'wI':
>> Indeed it was. I'm not certain whether it means "limb (i.e. arm or
>> leg)" or "limbs (i.e. arms and legs)" and I wanted to get confirmation
>> before reporting it.

qurgh:
>Marc was listening in while Eric was telling me the words. When we got to
>ghIv, gham was brought up. Marc described ghIv as the "person" version of
>gham.

To review {gham}:

KGT 42:  The archaic words tend to come up in conversations about food. For example, the usual word for the leg of an animal, when prepared as food, is {gham} (limb), the same word used for the leg of the living animal. A leg served as food at a banquet in an upper-class household, however, is likely to be called a {HajDob}, an old word for limb. In another context, such as a meal with warriors in a ship's {SopwI'pa'} (mess hall), only the term {gham} will be heard.

Note that an animal's paw is called a {namwech} (KGT).  For people use {ghop} "hand" and {qam} "foot".

>Marc also clarified that Qutlh (support) can only refer to physically
>supporting something. It can't refer to monetary (he said ghaq is for
>this), psychological or any other non-physical type of support.

So, some money verbs:

ghaq    contribute, support (financially)
DIl     pay for
rup     fine, tax
nob     give
nobHa'  give back, return (i.e. refund)