tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 18 10:55:50 2009

Re: use of DIng

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Terrence Donnelly
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone recall if we know whether {DIng} is transitive or intransitive? Is the subject the thing turned or the person who turns the thing?

I have always* considered the subject of {DIng} to be changing its own
orientation. Without any definitive examples in the published
documentation, I cannot justify this opinion, but I will continue to
use it that way.

* The very first face-to-face Klingon language communication I
participated in was when I said {yIDIng} to DaQtIq, someone I knew
from the mailing list. He considered it for a couple of seconds, then
turned around so I could see his {DaQ tIq}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level