tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 16 16:30:00 2009

Re: nom*i*nal*ize 2. to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase

qe'San (Jon Brown) wrote:
> [...]

I don't think "his drinking" is a nominalization of "he drinks." "His
drinking" is a nominalization of "drink," which is then modified by the
masculine, third-person, singular, possessive pronoun. You might call
"his drinking" a noun-phrase counterpart of "he drinks," but it's not a
direct nominalization of the verbal phrase.

> Sule'choHmeH  yantaHghachDaj   bobejnIS.  ghIq  boqeqlI'chu'
> in order for you to become exceptional you need to watch his sword
> manipulation then train perfectly

Your sentence is correct, but you don't need -ghach for this.

Sule'choHmeH yantaH 'e' bobejnIS; ghIq peqeqnISchu'lI'.

(I think you meant to have another -nIS on the second sentence.)

> Assuming that I got that right I suppose I could even say
>
> Sule'choHmeH  yanchu'taHghachDaj  bobejnIS.  ghIq  boqeqlI'chu'
> in order for you to become exceptional you need to watch his perfect sword
> manipulation then train perfectly
>
> Or can I add -chu'? It seems right to me to have verb qualification on the
> pre-nominalized verb rather than a qualification on the noun.

We have no rule against it, but again {'e'} makes this easier:

Sule'choHmeH yanchu'taH 'e' bobejnIS...

There is no noun-suffix equivalent of -chu', so the only qualification
you could have would be a verbal adjective or relative clause.

> On another subject there, am I right to use -lI' on boqeqlI'chu' or does qeq
> imply an ongoing aspect by it's very meaning?

{qeq} does not imply "ongoing" or "ongoing toward a known stopping
point." Leaving the -lI' off would not be wrong, but including it makes
the sentence that much more specific in meaning.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level