tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 16 16:04:33 2009

Re: nom*i*nal*ize 2. to convert (an underlying clause) into a noun phrase

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>

> I think [verb + -lu' + -ghach] falls into the same category. The rules
> allow it, but it's wrong, for the same reason that **{bIquvtaHghach} is
> wrong. I also don't think that the formation carries any information
> that [verb + -ghach] doesn't carry.

Having asked the question about bItlhutlhghach and whether it needed -taH I
should say that it seemed a strange concept but because I was trying to
understand what was meant by nominalize and seeing the English definition
refer to "His Drinking" as a nominalization of "He drinks" I had to ask if
that applied to Klingon..

Reading all the canon and interviews as well as everyone's personal opinions
I find I agree (for what that's worth) that Yes the -taH is required Marc
Okrand even used tlhutlhtaH in the interview.   It's also there in a sense
in the English with the -ing although I know that's not directly the same.

Back to the prefix I can see that's this can easily taken care of by the
possessive suffixes anyway giving you something that is not weird and ticks
all the boxes I was looking at.  So should I want to refer to "His Drinking"
I will use {tlhutlhtaHDaj}

Or to take a different example an instructor might say to his students of a
master swordsman.

Sule'choHmeH  yantaHghachDaj   bobejnIS.  ghIq  boqeqlI'chu'
in order for you to become exceptional you need to watch his sword
manipulation then train perfectly

Assuming that I got that right I suppose I could even say

Sule'choHmeH  yanchu'taHghachDaj  bobejnIS.  ghIq  boqeqlI'chu'
in order for you to become exceptional you need to watch his perfect sword
manipulation then train perfectly

Or can I add -chu'? It seems right to me to have verb qualification on the
pre-nominalized verb rather than a qualification on the noun.

On another subject there, am I right to use -lI' on boqeqlI'chu' or does qeq
imply an ongoing aspect by it's very meaning?

Thanks for all the help.

qe'San

Back to archive top level