tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 14 13:33:02 2009

RE: Comparatives in sentences...

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

qurgh:
>As the subject says, can you use a comparative in a sentance?
>***may'mey quvDaq Suv tlhIngan puj law' SoH puj puS....
>
>If not how would I say "A Klingon that is weaker than you can still fight
>in honorable battles"?
>
>There's probably a better way to say this, but I can't figure it out.

I'll let you work on this a bit more, but you can definitely use the law'/puS formula as part of a longer sentence.  In these examples note that the non-comparative part - which I'll mark with <angle brackets> - usually appears as a sort of prologue, place stamp or dependent clause to the actual comparative:

<jonlu'meH> wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)

<reH latlh qabDaq> qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS
The fire is always hotter on someone else's face. PK

<qIbDaq SuvwI''e'> SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy. ST5

<tlhutlhmeH> HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water.

<noH ghoblu'DI'> yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
In war there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW

<tlhIngan wo' yuQmey chovlu'chugh> Qo'noS potlh law' Hoch potlh puS
The principal planet of the Klingon Empire, Qo'noS... S27

<DujvamDaq> tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej <DujvamDaq> 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS
It [IKV Pagh] has the best weapons and some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet. S7

(This last one looks complicated, but it just uses long-ish noun phrases in the A and B slots of the A Q law' B Q puS formula.)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level