tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 31 16:33:46 2009

Re: Two pronunciation questions...

Christopher Doty wrote:
> First, how to people tend to pronounce two identical consonants when
> they are right next to each other?  As long, with both sounds
> released, or as a single sound?  Has Okrand said anything about this?

KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER, pp. 138â9. Okrand says younger
Klingons tend to shorten two consonants to one, especially stops. Older
and more formal speakers will aspirate each stop or lengthen other
doubled consonants.

I tend to lengthen all doubled consonants, including stops. That is,
with stops I only aspirate the second one, but they're still longer than
a single stop. If we put unaspirated consonants in parentheses, my
{qettaH} would be {qe(t)taH} and my {Soppu'} would be {So(p)pu'}.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level