tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 31 14:48:51 2009

Re: intuition and grammar (was Re: Ditransitive reflexives)

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 14:34, Terrence Donnelly
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Actually, only used with subjects; verbs with {-chuq} have no objects.

Right, because -chuq indicates that the subject and the direct object
are the same.  It doesn't indicate, though, that the subject and the
indirect object are the same.

> I wish we'd get off this "ditransitive" topic, which has really had no relevance to this discussion for a long time, > especially to someone who, like me, doesn't really buy the notion of ditransitive verbs in English, in the first
> place.

I'm not sure what you mean about not buying the concept in English,
but the question remains: how would one say "they gave themselves
chocolate" in Klingon?

Chris

Back to archive top level