tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 31 12:12:00 2009

Re: intuition and grammar (was Re: Ditransitive reflexives)

Doq ([email protected])

A second issue is that if we change the language too much, we
essentially create a dialect that someone else who studied Okrand's
materials would not understand. The Klingon Institute was not created
in order to create or foster non-standard dialects of the Klingon
language.

Doq

On Oct 31, 2009, at 1:34 PM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> ja'pu' lay'tel SIvten:
>> It's safer to walk around a hole than to jump in. We don't know how
>> deep the
>> holes are, and they're difficult to illuminate.
>
> ja' [email protected]:
>> Yes, but if there's a problem, we need to fix it.  It would only be
>> the smart, right, and beneficial thing to do.  Fill the hole!
>
> It would be the presumptive and arrogant thing to do.
>
> We're just studying and using this language.  We lack the authority
> to change or add to its grammar.  In the fantasy context of Klingon
> being the language spoken by real Klingons, we don't have any
> information on what to fill the holes with.  We do have information
> telling us that some holes are true gaps in the language and not just
> gaps in our knowledge.
>
> motlh qay'be' SengHey.  Sengbe'.  qaD neH.  Hol yItI'Qo'.  Hol
> yIlo'qu'.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level