tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 31 10:36:40 2009

Re: intuition and grammar (was Re: Ditransitive reflexives)

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

ja'pu' lay'tel SIvten:
> It's safer to walk around a hole than to jump in. We don't know how
> deep the
> holes are, and they're difficult to illuminate.

ja' [email protected]:
> Yes, but if there's a problem, we need to fix it.  It would only be
> the smart, right, and beneficial thing to do.  Fill the hole!

It would be the presumptive and arrogant thing to do.

We're just studying and using this language.  We lack the authority
to change or add to its grammar.  In the fantasy context of Klingon
being the language spoken by real Klingons, we don't have any
information on what to fill the holes with.  We do have information
telling us that some holes are true gaps in the language and not just
gaps in our knowledge.

motlh qay'be' SengHey.  Sengbe'.  qaD neH.  Hol yItI'Qo'.  Hol yIlo'qu'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level