tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 27 11:51:47 2009

RE: Ditransitive reflexives

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

André Müller:
>> noun. A double accusative structure, if you want it that way. It's
>> not unlogical to reason that using the reciprocal suffix {-chuq}
>> behind the ditransitive verb expresses likewise the meaning of
>> "giving X to each other". We don't have any canon phrases expressing
>> this concept, but a sentence like that *could* be: {yuch nobchuqpu'}
>>
>> But this is only an educated guess, as there's no example in the
>> corpus, we can only guess... but maybe there are other possibilities,
>> like {yuch lutampu'} (they exchanged chocolate). ;)

SuStel:
>{tam} means "exchange, substitute," so {yuch lutampu'} probably means
>"they substituted chocolate (for something else)."
>
>Without reflexive pronouns, I don't see any way to express this short of
>completely recasting it. Knowing the context would be necessary for
>this. For example, {muSHa'chuqmo' be' loD je, bangDajvaD yuch nobpu'
>Hoch qoch.}

SkyBox card S33 may be relevant:

  boq lucherDI' tlhIngan wo' romuluS Hov wo' je So'wI' cham Suqpu'
   tlhIngan wo'. chaq tampu'.  chaq romuluSnganpu'vaD pIvghor cham
   lunobpu' tlhInganpu'.
  Cloaking technology was gained through an alliance with the Romulan
   Star Empire, possibly in exchange for Warp Drive technology.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level