tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 09 13:58:26 2009

Re: The meaning of -moH

ghunchu'wI' wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2009, at 11:16 AM, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> mumISmoH mu'tlheghmeylIj.
>> First you say only no-object prefixes are used with {Qong}, then
>> you say
>> such prefixes are *not* used with {Qong}.
>
> Sorry, I mangled the context.  Before I rearranged and consolidated
> my words, "such prefixes" referred to "prefixes indicating an object".
>
> I think TKD says that {Qong} does not have an object.

Not exactly. It says:

    The prefixes in the first column of the chart (headed “none”) are
    used when there is no object; that is, when the action of the verb
    affects only the subject (the “doer”). The verb {Qong} sleep occurs
    with the pronomial prefixes as follows...

This doesn't say that {Qong} can't take objects; it only tells us how
{Qong} with no objects uses prefixes.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH