tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 09 13:27:35 2009

Re: {vIl} (was Re: News from Maltz)

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On Jul 27, 2009, at 11:04 PM, David Trimboli wrote:

> ghunchu'wI' wrote:
>> 2) The noun {vIl} is hard to define.  Maltz had given a description
>> of something which was immediately recognized as a speed bump by
>> everyone present, but it was apparently intended not as an actual
>> definition but as an example of something which is "just there".
>> There is obviously an etymological relationship with and {vIlle'},
>> which is currently the best clue we have to its true meaning.
>> ["Groupie" and "entourage" were suggested by those present at the
>> time, but Marc didn't think they fit.]

 From the OED, and obsolete word from Scotland:

Gudget
Sc. obs.
  A camp-follower; hence, a person of menial or low type. (See also
GOUJAT.)

1581 Satir. Poems Reform. xliv. 159 Thair sleikit tungis ar sua veil
creischit indeid, Better gudgettis ar not of Scotland borne.

1584 Let. to Nobles in J. Melvill Diary (Wodrow Soc.) 179 Slaves and
gudiates serving thairunto.

1595 DUNCAN App. Etymol. (E.D.S.), Calo, a gudget, or burden-bearer.

a1598 ROLLOCK Wks. (Wodrow Soc.) II. iii. 39 Whether thou be a
captain, or a single soldier, or a gudget, beware to be in evil company.

1603 Philotus lxxxiv, Unwomanlie in sik ane wyse, As gudget for to gang.

a1651 CALDERWOOD Hist. Kirk (Wodrow Soc.) III. 87 Slue a poor
gudget..in a trench.