tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 01 08:00:36 2009

RE: na'ran rur [Re: Klingon WOTD: na' (verb)]

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

qe'San (Jon Brown) wrote:
>I suspect there is no further canon on the use of {na'ran rur} but is
>there anything indicative of how to use it.
>
>How could I say or get close to saying, "Terrans enjoy eating sweet food".
>
>  na'ran rurbogh Soj luSop tera'gnan lutIv
>  Terrans enjoy eating food which resembles na'ran
>
>However that makes me think that it's the food that resembles naran rather
>than the flavour.  So rather than "food resmbles na'ran" would it be better
>to have taste in there somewhere:  "Terran's enjoy eating food whose taste
>resembles na'ran"  but that uses taste as a noun which I don't believe exists

SuStel:
>>The passage on page 85 of KGT says, "The closest equivalent to 'sweet'
>>is probably {na'ran rur} ('resembles a /naran,/' a fruit whose juice is
>>sometimes added to sauces as a contrast to the other flavors.)" Nowhere
>>does the phrase ever talking about HOW something resembles a /naran/.
>>This suggests that the phrase {na'ran rur} automatically means "tastes
>>sweet." Or, at least, it is the closest you can possibly get to "tastes
>>sweet," according to Maltz.
>>
>>Remember also that the words for tastes actually refers to the effect on
>>the senses and not a quality of the food itself, so if {na'ran rur} is
>>the closest you can get to "sweet," it must actually mean "tastes and
>>smells sweet."

FYI, "sweetness" in Klingon culture:

KGT 85f.:  Interestingly, many human visitors seem to really enjoy the juice of the *naran* all by itself, particularly in the morning, though Klingons find this practice most peculiar. Despite the general absence of sweet foods from their diet, Klingons tend to be quite enthusiastic about {yuch} (chocolate), at least in its purest forms.

When Seven of Nine was "possessed" by the personality of the assimilated Klingon K'Vok when a Borg vinculum (the device which connects and processes the thousands of disparate minds on a Borg Cube) was infected with a virus and malfunctioned, she initiated a Klingon mating ritual with B'Ellana saying, "Your blood is sweet." (VOY "Infinite Regress")

>>Also, don't forget the pronoun {'e'}:
>>  na'ran rurbogh Soj luSop tera'ngan 'e' lutIv.

Before KGT came out some people used *{wIbHa'} "un-sour/bitter/tart") for "be sweet".  (From CK we know that Klingons drink {Dargh wIb} "sour tea" but many humans, myself included, prefer sweet tea.)  If qe'San wanted to be absolutely clear that he was talking about the taste of the {na'ran} fruit rather than its appearance, color or some other feature, he could adapt the simile formula {wIbHa'; na'ran rur}:

  na'ran rurbogh Soj'e' wIbHa' luSop tera'ngan 'e' lutIv.

though I think this is overkill.  (And yes, I did tag {Soj} with {-'e'} because the sentence is getting a little complicated now with the addition of yet another verb.  YMMV.)

BTW here are some variant examples of enjoying eating/food for those interested:

  Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' [lu]tIv tera'nganpu'
  Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals. CK [corrected]

  bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
  To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. TKW

  yIntaHbogh tlhIngan Soj tlhol jablu'DI' tIvqu'lu'
  Klingon food is best when served fresh and live. S21

  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar
  and Restaurant. STX

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons