tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 27 08:17:37 2009

Re: {-lu'} on intransitive verbs [WAS Re: The topic marker -'e']

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

Oops, I left out something I meant to include in the previous note.

On Nov 27, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Christopher Doty wrote:

> This next set is SUPER cool, as it looks like the -lu' is functioning
> almost as a kind of nominalizer.  Not exactly, of course, since they
> aren't nouns, but in terms of referring not to the specific action but
> the outcome of the action.  I repeat: cool!
>
>> yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'.
>> Survival must be earned.
>> TKW, p. 125

There indeed is something like nominalization going on here, but it's
the {'e'} that does it.  It serves its normal purpose of standing in
for the action of the first sentence, as the object of the second
sentence.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level