tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 26 15:58:09 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

Steven Lytle wrote:
> I think part of the problem in following this conversation is that in X-vaD
> Y, the X-vaD is never (supposed to be) a noun-noun construction, yet it's
> being called this over and over.

The question is whether {X-vaD Y} is a single noun phrase. If it is, it
would have to be a noun-noun construction, because there is no other
kind of noun phrase it could be. But it *can't* be a noun-noun
construction, because {-vaD} is not allowed on the first noun. So is it
really a noun phrase at all?

X-vaD Y Verb

Is X the beneficiary of Y or the beneficiary of Verb? TKD says it's the
beneficiary of Verb.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH