tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 17:44:01 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 17:30, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's interesting stuff, but I for one will have to take your word for
> it, for it goes beyond my knowledge at this time. But I certainly don't
> begrudge any conversation about it!

That's fine, I just didn't want it to be out there lingering.  This is
one of the biggest annoyances in the field of linguistics: you ALWAYS
have to define EVERY term you use ALL THE TIME.  It becomes maddening,
but otherwise, you get just this sort of thing: "Well, we you say
'passive', do you mean a certain construction, or a certain semantic
function, or the interaction of those two things in a specific
language, or something else???"

*sigh*

Back to archive top level