tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 13:48:52 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

I still see them as separate, though... I'm not using one to modify
the battle, I'm saying (or trying to) that the battle is to be given
over to tribbles, not that a dishonorable battle is a tribble battle.
Just as in the canon example:

tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

<ghaHvaD guHDaj> is not in a N-N....  no? Am I missing something here?

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 13:34, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
> Christopher Doty wrote:
>> Huh...  It's not a N-N construction, though; the <yIHHomvaD> and the
>> <may'> aren't in a N-N phrase?
>
> But that's how you've used it. The first noun modifies the meaning of
> the second noun. What kind of {may'} "battle" is it? It's a *{yIHHomvaD
> may'} "minor tribble battle." That's the use of the noun–noun
> construction, but the first noun isn't allowed a Type 5 suffix.
> Beneficiaries (and locatives, etc.) only modify verbs.
>
> Now, there *are* a couple of phrases on the Bird of Prey poster which do
> this, and I'm not surprised, given that it started as a list of English
> noun phrases to be translated. (I have no doubt that Okrand fell into
> the same trap you did.)
>
> --
> SuStel
> tlhIngan Hol MUSH