tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 13:36:47 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

Christopher Doty wrote:
> Huh...  It's not a N-N construction, though; the <yIHHomvaD> and the
> <may'> aren't in a N-N phrase?

But that's how you've used it. The first noun modifies the meaning of
the second noun. What kind of {may'} "battle" is it? It's a *{yIHHomvaD
may'} "minor tribble battle." That's the use of the noun–noun
construction, but the first noun isn't allowed a Type 5 suffix.
Beneficiaries (and locatives, etc.) only modify verbs.

Now, there *are* a couple of phrases on the Bird of Prey poster which do
this, and I'm not surprised, given that it started as a list of English
noun phrases to be translated. (I have no doubt that Okrand fell into
the same trap you did.)

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH