tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 20:39:51 2009

RE: Question about Klingon books (e.g., Gilgamesh et al.)

Seruq ([email protected])

> > A couple times people have commented "Why did you do it like this
> > ...", and I replied "What are you talking about?  I
> wouldn't do that."
> > Then I look it up in the book and there it is.  "Holy crap,
> why did I do that?"
> > I think one of them that was pointed out was a question-as-object.
> > Not only did I for whatever reason use it, but it made it
> past the proofreaders.
> > Hey, nobody's perfect.
> > I just wanted a story that could be read.  Shakespeare can be
> > difficult in any language.
>
> Thanks for the reply, and I think this answers my question.
> I mean, I can figure out what was meant, especially with the
> parallel English text.  My question was more to what extent
> people consider the language in these to be
> super-great-awesome, or if it is okay when I find the
> occasional thing that seems odd, I can write it off to style
> or a small error or something.

I did the project originally for myself.  There wasn't a whole lot of
klingon literature out there.  After I was done I decided to share it with
everyone.  That was an interesting moment.  I announced it at one of our
annual gatherings, the qep'a'.  Went to the podium, said, "We now have
ghIlghameS." and I showed them the book.  The room was quiet for a while,
everyone just staring at me, probably thinking, "What do you mean?"

DloraH

Back to archive top level