tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 11:26:42 2009

Re: Comparatives

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Christopher Doty <[email protected]> wrote:
> Wait, then how do you do other aspects, e.g.,
> "We used to be more fortunate than you, but aren't anymore"??

The comparative/superlative construction is very rigid. It doesn't
carry aspect, qualification, honorifics, or basically anything else
that would go on the verb of a regular sentence. The *only* verb
suffix explicitly permitted is {-be'}.

For your particular example, I would make it more specific and
substitute time for aspect.
{cha' wen maH Do' law' tlhIH Do' puS. DaHjaj maH Do'be' law' tlhIH Do'be' puS.}

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level