tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 17 09:57:58 2009

Re: Locatives

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Voragh will be here soon with examples, but briefly...

--- On Tue, 11/17/09, Tracy Canfield <[email protected]> wrote:

> Are there any limits on which nouns
> may take the -Daq ending?
>
> (1)  Can it be used with nouns referring to
> people?  Some languages
> with locative constructions use them with nouns for people,
> with
> meanings along the lines of "where so-and-so is" or "at
> so-and-so's
> house."  Does Klingon allow this?

I've never seen this usage in Klingon.

> (1a)  And if it does, can -Daq be used with
> pronouns?  We know that
> -'e', another Type 5 suffix, can attach to pronouns - do we
> know about
> -Daq?

I don't see why not, eg. {jIHDaq Sum Duj}. 'The ship is close to me.'

> (1b)  Similarly, TKD 3.4 gives us nagh DungDaq "above
> the rock",
> formed using the noun-noun construction "nagh Dung" plus
> -Daq.  We
> also know that pronouns can't be used in possessive
> constructions, and
> the possessive suffixes are used instead (TKD 5.1).
>
> So would "above me" be DungwI'Daq?

No, these are a special case. In these cases, you use the independent pronoun in an N-N construction: {jIH DungDaq}. I think this is the only time you can use an independent pronoun to show possession.

> (2)  Can -Daq be used with abstract nouns?  It
> doesn't seem to have a
> metaphorical sense that locative constructions in other
> languages have
> - I think every example I've seen with it refers to a
> location in
> space.

I believe both {-Daq} and {-vo'} refer strictly to location (you couldn't use them, for example, to say that a work was translated from English into Klingon).

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level