tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 13 13:48:27 2009

RE: Yet another newbie!

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

buSwI':

Voragh:
>>>"One must be very careful when (while) one reads the Dictionary."
>>>
>>>"Dictionary" is {mu'ghom}.  A *{mu'Hom} - {mu'} "word" + {-Hom}
>>>"diminutive" - would be a "wordlet, minor word, etc."

Tracy:
>> I took it to mean "fine print".

buSwI':

Tracy:
>> Since -Hom isn't merely "small", but "minor", perhaps "fine print"
>> could be handled as  mu'HomHey  "apparently minor words".

buSwI':

Krenath:
> Or << mu'HomHeymey >> since there is more than one word.
> Or perhaps << mu'tlheghHomHeymey >> ... "apparently minor sentences"

Tracy:
>>Though you don't need -mey to show plurality, since nouns without a
>>plural ending aren't necessarily singular:
>>
>> TKD 3.3.2:  "In Klingon, a noun without a plural suffix may still
>> refer to more than one entity [...] For example, yaS 'officer' may
>> refer to a single officer or to a group of officers, depending on
>> other words in the sentence or the context of the discussion."

Tracy is right, plurality doesn't have to be specifically marked in Klingon (as opposed to English).  But if you are using an unmarked plural (as we call it here), you do need to make sure it agrees with the "other words in the sentence":

  mu'Hom laDlu'
  a minor word is read (singular)

  mu'Hommey lulaDlu'
  minor words are read (marked plural)

  mu'Hom lulaDlu'
  minor words are read (unmarked plural)

When using the indefinite subject suffix {-lu'}, the {lu-} prefix tells you that the object {mu'Hom} is plural - marked or unmarked.  Some examples from canon:

  'entepray' Hub patmey luchu'be'lu'pu'
  Enterprise defense systems are down. (ST5 notes)

  jagh lucharghlu'ta'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj
  May the bile of the vanquished [pl.] fill your hands. PK

  Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'
  The eyes of the fallen Klingon are opened... S31

  cha' vI' vagh choQmey lutoghlu'
  Number of Decks: 2.5  BOP

  'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh: jav
  Atmospheric Take-Off/Landing Thrusters - 6  BOP

  nISwI' talmey: cha' (telDaq lujomlu')
  Disruptor Cannon - 2 (Wing Mounted) BOP

  to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
  Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs. PK

N.B. The {tI-} prefix also indicates that {to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh} is plural.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level