tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 11 06:30:32 2009

Re: Yet another newbie!

[email protected] wrote:

> tlhIngan Hol vIghoj vIneH!

maj. batlh tlhIngan Hol Daghojjaj.

> One thing in particular that puzzles me is how {Duy'a'} and {Duy''a'}
> differ in sound, that is, how to say {''}.

Formally, a doubled glottal stop should be lengthened; that is, the {''}
takes a little longer to say than just {'}. However, most Klingons tend
to shorten doubled glottal stops, so most Klingons would pronounce
{Duy''a'} like {Duy'a'} anyway. Pronouncing the lengthened {''} is still
acceptable, and considered more formally correct. (See KLINGON FOR THE
GALACTIC TRAVELER, page 138.)

When I speak, I pronounce the lengthened {''}.

> Also, I wonder about using locative in a noun phrase, as in {bIQDaq veng},
> my attempt at translating "the city on the water" (yes, I know a true
> Klingon would not associate his city with water...). Is that ok?

No, that's not right. TKD 3.4 says that only the last noun in a
noun-noun construction may take a Type 5 suffix. If {bIQ veng} "water
city" (Laketown?) is not sufficient for your meaning, you might try
{bIQDaq 'oHbogh veng'e'} "city which is on water."

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level